Bee Yard Visit (January 16, 2023)

It’s been nearly eight months since I visited our three hives in the Sam Houston National Forest.  Just too busy with other things and didn’t get around to it.  And I didn’t make record of my last visit, so truthfully I couldn’t remember if I removed the empty supers I put on last year.  When I arrived at the bee farm today, I saw that I had left the supers on all winter. (Eyeroll)


Hives 04 and 06 both have one deep with one medium super on top.  When I opened the lids on both hives, I saw the bees had closed off the entire screened inner covers with propolis.  We use the screened covers because our summers are exceptionally humid and we want air to flow through the hive to keep the humidity down, but I guess the bees don't care as much as we do.  Looking past the inner covers, the medium supers of both hives have 10 frames completely full of honey.  Hives 04 and 06 have managed through the past several months very well, even with my neglect. (Note that the supers of both hives are separated with queen excluders).  







Hive 02 also has one deep with one medium super on top, and a queen excluder. This hive has no honey in the frames of the medium super.  I added another medium super on top without frames and placed a  chicken feeder with 1 gallon sugar water on top of frames below. Then I replaced the lid.





Even though it is January, here in our area some trees and shrubs have new growth and flowers are beginning to bloom.  I'm planning to return on February 2 with more sugar water for all three hives to get them ready for the upcoming spring nectar flow.


Comments